Yesterday we realized that we’ve got exactly 6 weeks until our departure. So today, we have less than 6! WOW!
I had a chance to sleep in this morning, a first in a very long time, a GIFT! A little more rested now, it feels right to update you all today on the nitty gritty, and give you some specifics on how you can be praying for us.
WE VALUE YOUR PRAYERS! We find great encouragement just trusting you are praying, and are blessed deeply when we somehow hear how you do so specifically. It might sound dramatic, but this last month could have downright been unbearable without your prayers! It’s true!
As much time as we have given towards prayer and processing for our actual time in Nicaragua, we just didn’t give much at all towards this preparation season. These last two months have been a roller coaster, and truth be told, I’m pooped – we’re all tired, and a little at the end of ourselves. Who knew the chaos we’d face in just trying to get out of town!?
A major toilet flood and a rush to get moved out of our home to rent it are the major culprits, but not the exclusive ones. I am pretty sure we’ll arrive in Nicaragua first needing to just sleep on the beach and rest! Sounds really great doesn’t it!?
A week ago, our renter (a refugee family through a local agency) fell through (for a second time). We found ourselves disappointed and relieved by this – that said, we find ourselves still needing to find a renter for our home. Our insurance company mailed us a substantial check to get work done on our home from the flood; we hired a rebuild company, and were delighted the first time they came. After a week in MN, celebrating Jack & Laurie Borden’s 50th Wedding Anniversary (Mike’s folks) and Christmas, we were excited to return to a home all fixed and repaired. Well, we still have lots of unfinished projects waiting for hired work crews to show up for. L We are extremely grateful for our many friends here in Fort Collins and my parents (Sig & Judi Palm) who showed up to help us quickly do the portions we were responsible for. Being the demo crew saved funds we were able to then reinvest back in to the rebuild.
As much as I just want to be in my house (with our dog), we went ahead and moved into a friend’s house. She is out of town for much of this month, and it felt like it could give our work crews more space to finish the repairs and us perhaps a little more normalcy to our lives. Maybe? It at least gives us an opportunity to finish packing up the last of our personal items, stage our home for an open house, and the chance for our kids to all be in beds again. With the flood, we had to move so many items to the garage to get flooring done – Wes has been sleeping on the floor since mid-November! Our sweet Pug, Bubbles has moved in with Scott, Rebecca, Brook, & Avry. We are so grateful Bubbles can be in such a loving home during this time.
We begin 2013 thankful to God for so many things, hoping even in the midst of all of our needs, are gratitude can still be reflected in our current list below!
Happy New Year Friends!
Little and Big List!
These are some of the details floating around in our hearts, & brains, & prayers. Please join us in prayer as you are led. It does feel so fun to be updating this list on the very 1st day of the year!
- We purchased our plane tickets & are leaving town on Feb. 11th – less than 6 weeks away now! We are beyond excited!
- We are still waiting to hear back from Mike’s employer. It is looking more like his current job will come to an end. This doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be rehired upon our return, but as a new hire – not retaining his current tenure to the company. And, he would have to apply for current openings there may be along with everyone else looking for work. This isn’t our best scenario, but we trust God with it.
- I have found extremely capable folks to cover my position at the church while we are gone, and I am hopeful our transition can begin on 1/18/ with both of them.
- We are actively seeking both prayer & financial supporters. We feel like our fundraising is going well. As of today we have 70 different households officially supporting us (that we know of!), with $14,160.00 in gifts and pledges. Our goal is $25,000.00 though, so we still do have a ways to go. We have begun to wonder what it would look like to be continuing to raise funds while in Nicaragua, but do hope it is all raised before we leave.
- Our home is getting close to ready! We went ahead and listed our house on Craigslist and will host an Open House on Friday. Renting it now or in February – we are trusting God for the scenario He’s got for us. We’d love to be back in our home (which is now looking so pretty!) until we leave Feb. 11th, but we’d also love to have it all in motion before we go too – for both the extra rent income to add to our trip funds as well as just in case there are any hiccups with new tenants, etc.
- We are hosting an open house on Friday to show it to potential renters. It would be GREAT to be able to sign a lease with tenants even this week.
- We have already rented our Volkswagen Bug, but would love to also rent our 2005 Scion Xb. Interested? Know someone who might be? We’d love to talk logistics.
- We are super encouraged to have been pursued by our denomination to be “Covenanter’s in Mission” a small group of folks being sent out with other sending organizations. We are excited that they will consider each member of our family a missionary vs. just the adults. We are also thrilled for the extra prayer support this will bring our way. The Ameya church has never formally gone through the process to become “officially” Covenant. We are praying that God would use our family to be bridge builders in building relationships between the two.
- We want to give a lot of focus to improving our Spanish. Going to school as a whole family to see what we can do to eliminate our language barriers. We have already begun learning as a family & hope to attend school there for a minimum of our first 4 weeks in Nicaragua. There are many options for classes. We are praying to land in the right fit for our family of varied ages and stages. Spanish School will be one of our largest expenses. We would love to find a donor to specifically cover this expense for us.
- All of our big commitments have now come to an end. We find great relief in this. Prayers for a rest in this final week before the kids go back to school would be helpful. Our focus now is on getting our “majors” in place (house & car rented & jobs finalized), fundraising, and unity as a family.
- We have met with both of our kids schools, & are coming up with a good plan for the kids schooling – prayers for continued discernment would be great!
- Every day we think about new little logistics we havn’t thought about before – mail, banking, etc. that needs figuring out – prayers that these little things would feel manageable too!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!